It was a fortuitous aligning of the stars that brought Caitlin and Meghan to Taite’s closet the day before she started college. (And then in to Matthias’s closet but he doesn’t want a post about him.)
While Taite was off working as a chambermaid all summer, I went through her closet. Secretly. And pretty much got rid of all those drippy, gauzy, thin, trashy t-shirts that have been all the rage in every store selling to young people. I hate them. They look cheap but sell for way more than a good quality Hanes underwear t-shirt. So those were gone plus bags more and still clothing was seriously falling out of her closet.
There is a reason apt sayings become common- it’s because they’re true. “Less is more” would apply to her closet. She had so much clothing she could not even kid me that she knew what she had at the bottom of the pile or the back of her closet.
Enter Caitlin and Meghan.
1. First was a quick perusal of the closet.
2. Then pitching the obvious- things she kept out of guilt (but hated), things that were just plain ugly (but she might wear them camping- and I have a story to go with that which includes primitive camping in primitive camping clothing while all the other women looked like Barbie dolls all in white and ecru- but that’s another story. Suffice it to say that really you should never wake up and think, “I’d like to look really ugly today.”)
3. Then out goes all the clothing that doesn’t fit well- too small, too big.
4. Finally down to what you like, and therefore will wear.
5. And then actually putting together outfits of the favored items.
6. The final thing was to get the below photos printed for her to have on the inside of her closet door to remind her that the great jacket has options, or the pants can be worn with a variety of styles.