Mad Hungry

I don’t really get the name of Lucinda Scala Quinn’s TV show, Mad Hungry, but I’m intrigued. This woman cooks the way I like to cook, she uses ingredients that I actually buy , she creates good and beautiful food to be eaten as a family around a dinner table.

I was sick the other day (here’s a test, find out your greatest love by identifying the one thing you will drag your  rear out of bed after a few aspirins and a good nose blow to do. I discovered I still wanted to make a really tasty, lovely meal even though I felt like I’d been hit by a train that day. Stirring the polenta between sips of tea I realized, “Wow, I just really like to cook.” It brightened my day.) and wandered onto Youtube to watch some Mad Hungry videos. (Check this out, a chocolate cake made in one dish!) I was kind of hooked and then got to work creating one of her meals to see how it panned out.  I’d found it in Martha Stewart magazine and  had all the ingredients waiting in the fridge so didn’t want to put it off another night.

Pork chops with roasted peppers and capers served on cheesy polenta with collard greens

It was fabulous. Give it a try. Here’s the recipe, and don’t forget to serve it over the cheesy polenta with collard greens.

Oh and one more thing, I discovered that you can cut nice thick pork chops from a far less expensive pork tenderloin! You probably already knew this, but I didn’t and was pretty thrilled to be enlightened.

Be Sociable, Share!
This entry was posted in Miscellaneous and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Mad Hungry

1. avatar Taite says:

Yum. I wish i loved to cook because I love to eat!

2. avatar Aléxia says:

this blog is very interesting.

3. avatar erin says:

This looks amazing! I did not realize you were such a food fiend! That would not be what I would drag myself around for…. but I might get out of bed to eat it!

4. avatar Marge says:

Hey Cait, Have a look at the Wackey Cake recipe in the family cook book – sounds very much like the one you’re talking about.

5. avatar Shari Keen says:

I’d love to see your family Wacky Cake recipe. When I checked out that chocolate cake recipe I thought hmmmmmmmmmmm sounds just about like the Wacky Cake we made in 7th grade Home Ec.

6. OK. I want some “Pink Pepper” energy. You should market it. I think it would be more effective than “that other brand,” not to mention, lovelier, more exciting and just plain fun.

7. avatar Beth says:

Too ironic….I hadn’t even read this…..and I made the wacky cake today. Rather than using all water though, I used 1/4 cup of coffee and the rest water. It really made the chocolate flavor richer. (I had watched an Ina Garten show- Barefoot Contessa, a few months ago in which she had added coffee to bring out the chocolate flavor… and alas it does. The chocolate popped. This is such a moist, light cake for a made from scratch cake.

8. avatar Beth says:

Oh, and on the pork loin… I always wait to buy one of the large pork loins when they’re on sale for a fraction of their normal price and cut part into family size loin roasts, and a bunch of chops. It generally lasts until the next time it’s on sale for better than half off.

9. avatar cameron says:

Looks great, Caitlin! And I have to say, your photo looks much more appetizing than Martha’s!

10. avatar Pops says:

Kats that looks delicious!

11. avatar Carla says:

normally i don’t leave a comment but your post was excellent so i had to thank you for that.