Line-dried laundry

It snowed on Saturday. Today it is 70 degrees and life is sunny. My newest favorite thing on is to line dry my laundry on days like this. I put up  a clothesline, bought wooden clothes pins, and got to work on the mountain of dirty clothes today. I love any excuse to be outside so the hike from the basement to side yard with baskets of wet things is worth it. And a tautly hung dress shirt will need almost no ironing when it comes off the line all crisp and fresh.

Also, I had this idea that I was saving us tons and tons of money per month by not using my  dryer. Yeah– Not true. I was sadly disillusioned when I calculated the cost on this fascinating little website and figured I save at most a whopping $12 a month. But I’m not to be thwarted — the sunshine, fresh outdoor smell on towels and sheets, and a good arm workout will keep me stringing my laundry up all summer. Until it snows again next week, that is.

Be Sociable, Share!
This entry was posted in Miscellaneous. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Line-dried laundry

1. avatar Charlotte says:

It totally depends on your dryer. Is it new? I had an old one and saved $40 on my electric bill during the month I was searching for a new one. Besides, have you ever smelled anything more wonderful than line-dried sheets and pillow cases?

2. avatar Terri says:

I love the look of laundry on a line.

3. avatar Marge says:

As a child I loved laundry day – running around the things hanging (especially the sheets), but most of all the smell and feel of the sheets that night when I crawled into bed.

4. avatar DHammerstrom says:

Great opening shot and nice post. I love air-dried sheets, sometimes clothes, but not terry-cloth towels. Give me the tumble dry on those. Got your Saturday snow in Colorado yesterday.

5. avatar Caitlin says:

I know what you mean about the towels– talk about post-shower exfoliation! But Zac loves them.
    And Charlotte, I was really hoping someone would tell me that they had tested it out and I was probably saving a lot more money than I know, so thanks :)

6. avatar Melinda Blyman says:

I line dry almost all the time except when it is really cold. I love everything about it, even the towels which aren’t too bad if you have a good stiff breeze. My favorite line drying time was when my son was a baby. There was nothing better than looking out my window and seeing all those diapers and tiny clothes flapping in the breeze.

7. avatar Janice Georgiades says:

I absolutely agree with what you said within this post. Thanks for the helpful info.

8. avatar DHammerstrom says:

Caitlin, My daughter Lauren’s entry into the Clothes Pin Hall of Fame.